During the government of Doctor Juan José Arévalo Bermejo, the second Monetary and Banking Reform of the Republic of Guatemala takes place, giving origin to the creation of the Banco de Guatemala that rises to institutional life on July 1, 1946, as a substitute of the Central Bank. Initially the new entity, now autonomous, with its own property, regulated by its Organic Law and the Monetary Law, fulfilled the demand of circulatory, issuing currency and counter-marking bills from the previous Central Bank with “Banco de Guatemala”.
After authorization on September 15, 1948, it circulates its own bills with new designs and with the current size. In 1949 the coins were redesigned and include the current designs, suffering small changes through different periods. A significant fact took place in July 1954, when assigning the minting operations of the fractional currency to the Banco de Guatemala, going from National Currency House, that had worked as part of the Ministerio de Hacienda y Crédito Público, (the previous equivalent of the Department of the Treasury) to constitute a dependency of the Central Bank.
The initial designs of the bills, with some insignificant changes, continued until the beginning of the decade of the seventies, when totally different pieces from the previous ones, are set in circulation that to this date conserve their original designs.
PIECES - PHOTOGRAPHS